Road Transport Media
Interim Head of Marketing Support
Road Transport Media is the publisher of Commercial Motor, Motor Transport, Truck & Driver, Commercialmotor.com, Motortransport.co.uk and Trucknet – the foremost news, information and data provider for the UK road transport industry. Formerly part of Reed Business Information, the road transport portfolio was sold as part of its on-going divestment strategy to GIL Investments in 2011.
Road Transport Media engaged VG&A in February 2012 to lead and manage its marketing function until December 2012, following the appointment of their new Head of Marketing.
VG&A was tasked to deliver against the following key strategic and operational objectives:
- Supporting the marketing team by putting in place training, processes and procedures to maximise their effectiveness, whilst providing clear direction to meet key business targets and objectives
- Develop Road Transport Media’s digital platforms to specifically widen its audience base in order to grow subscription and classified revenues
- Devise multi-channel marketing strategies across the portfolio specifically to deliver specific audience development targets – subscriptions, newstrade and controlled circulation
- To launch a new event concept for fleet buyers within the UK road transport industry – a “confex” – where they have the opportunity to “try before they buy”
- Launch a new recruitment platform for the UK road transport industry
By the time VG&A handed the reins of the marketing department to the new Head of Marketing, the following has been achieved:
- Each member of the marketing team received a new job profile, highlighting their role, objectives and targets for the year. All training needs were identified and provided.
- Commercial Motor subscription and retention targets met. The newstrade net sale decline for Commercial Motor and Truck & Driver was managed to outperform the competitor market. Motor Transport’s controlled circulation targets were met in time for the 2012 audit.
- Year-on-year traffic growth (15%) for Commercialmotor.com.
- Increased conversion levels for Commercial Motor’s online classified site, Used Trucks.
- The inaugural Commercial Motor Live launched successfully and was a hit for exhibitors, truck manufacturers and visitors alike. In fact, the 2013 event will take place in October 2013.
- The new Recruitment website, Commercialmotorjobs, launched in September 2012.
- The new Commercial Motor Archive was launched in September 2012.
“We recruited VG&A to assist us in driving forward our marketing plans during 2012. Vaughan and Nicola came in and steadied the ship, set the right course and supported us during another busy period for the company, during which we launched a new exhibition, developed a new recruitment proposition and released our new digital archive to the market. VG&A were instrumental in ensuring these were all successful and I have no hesitation in recommending them if you require a professional high quality team of marketing consultants equally at home with strategy and execution.”
Andy Salter – MD, Road Transport Media
More Case Studies