The top 10 looks like this:
- MSN/Windows Live/Bing
No surprises here. But the data compares 2011 with 2004 and this shows three things.
- Search is still critically important
- Social networks/user generated content sites are gaining in influence and size – and rapidly
- Offline brands are making their prescence felt online
There are also some learning points for business:
- Search still rules so make sure your sites are well optimised
- User generated content is becoming increasingly important in driving traffic to and engagement with sites so figure out how your business could leverage that – think curating content, linking to relevant content and building up your own bank of user generated content
- Sharing sites are in the ascendancy and they all provide businesses with an opportunity to have a prescence and connect with their customers whether they are on Twitter, Linkedin, Facebook etc. Time to work out how to do this if you are not already.
- Notice that offline brands such as Argos have had real success at building a successful online business – you can do it too.
So, start to think how to create well optimised content and how you can share it in the relevant networks.
by Martin Couzins